Pacific Surfliner Service Adjustments
Enhanced Cleaning Measures
- Increased Cleaning: Amtrak has increased the frequency of cleaning service at stations and onboard trains to multiple times a day. Commonly used surfaces in stations such as handrails, door handles, counter tops, seating areas, and Amtrak ticket kiosks are cleaned with EPA-registered disinfectants.
- Increasing supplies of disinfectant products: The quantity of sanitizers and disinfectant wipes available for customers and employees has been increased throughout the trains and at stations. Amtrak partnered with RB, the manufacturers of Lysol, to help strengthen and reinforce comprehensive disinfection protocols with products proven to be effective against the virus that causes COVID-19.
When You Book
- Reservations Required on Select Weekends: Please note that Pacific Surfliner trains may require reservations during peak travel weekends (holidays and special events) to manage capacity onboard. Visit the schedules page for details.
- Trip Flexibility: Outside of dates when reservations are required, passengers can choose to use their Unreserved Coach ticket to ride on a different date or at a different time between the stations listed on their ticket. There is no need to contact Amtrak to modify the reservation. Passengers with a Business Class reservation, however, do need to modify their trip (at no cost) in advance.
- No Change Fees: Pacific Surfliner tickets are considered "Flexible Fares". Tickets can be cancelled with a full refund to original form of payment with no fees if canceled before departure. There are no change fees. If you want to cancel your reservation, call 800-USA-RAIL.
- Book Travel Electronically: The Amtrak website and app now offer additional digital payment options, including Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal, to make it easier and safer to book travel and update reservations.
- Pacific Surfliner trains are following a temporarily reduced schedule, although many trips have been restored. View our schedules page for the latest information, or use the booking tool to view all available travel options.
- Face Coverings: While Amtrak passengers and employees are no longer required to wear masks while on board trains, masks are welcome and remain an important preventive measure against COVID-19. Anyone needing or choosing to wear one is encouraged to do so.
- Station Updates: Pacific Surfliner trains continue to serve all stations according to the schedules. However, please give yourself extra time before your train arrives, as ticket windows may be closed at some staffed stations or have modified hours. We encourage you to book your ticket in advance online, on the Amtrak app, 800-USA-RAIL, or the Quik-Track machine (located outside of the station). Passengers requiring assistance should call 800-USA-RAIL.
- Checked Baggage: Checked baggage service is available at the following stations: San Diego (Downtown), Oceanside, Santa Ana, Fullerton, Los Angeles, Van Nuys, Oxnard, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo. If you are traveling to or from a station not listed here, you will need to bring all of your bags and luggage onboard. Each passenger may bring two pieces of luggage (size limitations apply) as well as two personal items.
- Contact-Free Travel: When you book your ticket on the website, you will receive an eTicket as a PDF attachment to your emailed receipt. You can also book and retrieve your eTicket in the Amtrak app. Simply open the eTicket on your mobile device and show the QR code to the conductor.
- Café Car: Seating is open in the Market Café, located on the lower level of Car 3. In addition, condiments are also be available for self-service.
- Please Note: The current status of services available at stations and onboard trains is subject to change at any time due to governmental requirements and/or changes to operating guidelines. If you have any outstanding questions, please call 800-USA-RAIL prior to your upcoming trip.