The LOSSAN rail corridor stretches 351 miles from San Diego to San Luis Obispo, with the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, freight, commuter, and long-distance trains sharing the tracks and certain stations. Ongoing construction projects keep the infrastructure in top condition and contribute to overall improvements in rail travel along the corridor. Larger projects require tracks or stations to be closed so crews can perform necessary work, which can temporarily affect train service.
- Temporary Rail Closure Due to Emergency Track Work in San Clemente
- Planned Weekend Track Closure in San Diego County
Weekend Service Set to Resume Through San Clemente
Update Effective February 4, 2023
Weekend Pacific Surfliner service through San Clemente will resume starting February 4, while weekday service remains temporarily suspended.
The tracks in south San Clemente have been closed to passenger rail service since late September 2022 out of an abundance of caution after officials noticed movement of the tracks and the adjacent hillside. Emergency construction work has successfully stabilized the area, and a safety assessment has cleared the way for rail service to resume. OCTA, the agency leading the construction, is estimating that the project will be complete by the end of March 2023.
Pacific Surfliner service through San Clemente will be restored on weekends. On weekdays, shuttle bus service will continue to connect passengers to trains at Irvine and Oceanside, as crews complete construction and landscaping activities.
On Saturdays and Sundays, beginning on February 4, limited train service will be restored between Los Angeles, Orange, and San Diego Counties with no bus connection required, including:
- Southbound Trains 562, 564, 770, 774, 580, 784, 588, and 794
- Northbound Trains 761, 765, 567, 777, 581, 785, 591, and 595
Construction work will continue on weekdays, and is expected to finish by the end of March. To ensure worker safety and the most efficient completion of the project, the existing schedule will remain in effect Monday through Friday, as follows:
- Trains 564 and 580: No service between Irvine and San Diego.
- Trains 562 has a bus connection from Irvine to Oceanside, and Train 1562 is operating between Oceanside and San Diego.
- Trains 770, 774 and 784 extend to San Juan Capistrano. A bus bridge is operating directly from Irvine to Oceanside. Please note that train numbers are slightly different for the portion of the trip between Oceanside and San Diego (1770, 1774, and 1784, respectively). No bus connections are available in San Juan Capistrano.
- Train 588: Bus bridge from Irvine to Oceanside, no service at San Clemente Pier or San Juan Capistrano. The train is operating as Train 1590 from Oceanside to San Diego.
- Train 794: On Monday-Thursday, will operate as Thruway Bus 3594 between Los Angeles and San Diego, serving all scheduled stops except for San Juan Capistrano. On Fridays, will origiate in San Luis Obispo and travel to San Diego with no bus connections required.
- Trains 572 and 586: Temporarily suspended.
- Train 761: On Tuesday-Friday, will originate in Los Angeles, with no service between San Diego and Los Angeles. On Mondays, will originate in San Diego and travel to San Luis Obispo with no bus connections required.
- Trains 765, 567 and 785: Bus bridge from Oceanside to Irvine, no service to San Clemente Pier or San Juan Capistrano. Please note that train numbers will be slightly different for the portion of the trip between San Diego and Oceanside (1765, 1567, and 1785 respectively)
- Trains 777 and 591: Originate in San Juan Capistrano instead of Irvine. There continues to be service between San Diego and Oceanside via trains 1777 and 1579, with a bus connection from Oceanside to Irvine. Trains will wait in Irvine for the buses connecting passengers from Oceanside.
- Train 581: Originates in San Juan Capistrano. No service between San Diego and San Juan Capistrano.
- Train 595: Train originates in Irvine.
- Trains 573 and 583: Temporarily suspended.
OTHER SERVICE ADJUSTMENTS
- Partial Suspension of Rail2Rail Program: The Rail2Rail program with Metrolink is not valid for the replacement bus service operating between Oceanside and Irvine. Metrolink Monthly Pass holders may ride Pacific Surfliner trains between the station pairs of their pass, as far south as San Juan Capistrano. The Rail2Rail program with Metrolink will resume to Oceanside once the tracks reopen.
- Baggage Service Suspended: Checked baggage will not be available while we operate on a modified schedule. Luggage may still be carried and stored onboard. You may bring two personal items that measure up to 14” x 11” x 7” each, and weigh up to 25 pounds each. You may also bring two carry-on bags that measure up to 28" x 22" x 11" each, and weigh up to 50 pounds each.
- Reservations Required for Bus Services: Multi-ride pass holders (monthly and 10-trip tickets) should use Amtrak’s RideReserve system to enter trip details in advance for trips that require a bus connection. Space on the buses is extremely limited and passengers without a reservation may be turned away if the bus becomes full. Visit our blog to read more tips for using the replacement bus service.
- Pet Reservations Not Available on Buses: The replacement bus service traveling between Irvine and Oceanside cannot accept pet reservations due to limited space. Only qualified service animals are allowed onboard. Pet reservations are still available for travel that does not include a bus segment, such as between San Diego and Oceanside or north of Irvine.
- Bike Space Limited: There is limited space for bikes available onboard the buses traveling between Irvine and Oceanside. Advance reservations are not available and space cannot be guaranteed.
View departure times (customized timetable)
Planned Track Work
Weekend Track Closure in San Diego County
Scheduled track work in San Diego County will affect Pacific Surfliner service on March 25-26, 2023. On these dates:
- Express bus service will be provided between Irvine and San Diego, making all intermediate station stops, except San Clemente Pier and San Juan Capistrano. Old Town San Diego will be drop-off only.
- Some trains will continue operating to and from San Juan Capistrano to provide transportation options to the 62nd Annual Swallows Day Parade and Mercado. On March 25, southbound Trains 564, 770, 774, and 784 will extend to San Juan Capistrano, and northbound Trains 567, 777, 581, and 591 will originate in San Juan Capistrano.
- Some buses may operate earlier or later than normal schedules.
There are no station notices at this time.
Until Further Notice
Due to ongoing work related to road crossings between Camarillo and San Luis Obispo, trains are subject to delays of approximately 30 minutes when traveling through the area. Union Pacific Railroad is working to minimize these delays. In addition, the schedule for Train 594 has temporarily been pushed 15 minutes later for all stations (departing Los Angeles at 10:35 p.m. and all following stations) to accommodate the work on the north-end of the corridor.