The Los Angeles-San Diego-San Luis Obispo (LOSSAN) Rail Corridor Agency, acting on behalf of Pacific Surfliner is committed to protecting and respecting your online privacy as you interact with pacificsurfliner.com.
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it. We value your privacy rights and are committed to being transparent about our data practices as related to our website.
This policy applies whether you interact with us online or via a mobile device and it provides you with information about the following:
- our collection of your data;
- our use of your data;
- our sharing of your data;
- our legal basis for processing your data;
- our data retention and security practices;
- your rights and choices relating to your data; and
- contacting us.
What personal data we may collect
We do not automatically collect personally identifiable information about visitors who do no more than browse our website or download information from it. Instances where we might collect data about you include the following:
- Information that you provide by filling in forms on our website (pacificsurfliner.com). This includes information provided subscribing to our email program, participating in a sweepstakes (which have independent terms and conditions), or contacting us with a question. We may also ask you for information when you report a problem with our site.
- Information that you provide when requesting services through the site. Additional information may be required to enable us to provide the service requested. This information would be no more specific than if you were requesting the service by any other means, such as by telephone or in-person at a staffed Amtrak station.
- If you email us, we may keep a record of that correspondence. We do not use information received in emails to create personal profiles, and we do not give or sell email information to others for commercial purposes.
- We may also ask you to complete surveys that we use for research purposes, although you do not have to respond to them.
- Anonymous details of your visits to our site including, but not limited to, traffic data, location data, weblogs, and other communication data.
- We may collect information about your computer, including your IP address (city location), operating system, and browser type.
- Publicly available personal data, including data you have shared via a public platform such as X (formerly known as Twitter) or Facebook.
- The information we collect for the purposes consistent with this policy may include first and last name, home or other physical address, email address, telephone number, and other information that allows us to contact you when needed.
- Because the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency does not automatically collect any personally identifiable information about visitors, it does not respond to Do Not Track Signals. Any personal information received by the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency is voluntarily provided.
- If you are a parent or guardian and have any questions about data that may be collected in association with your child, or to ask us to delete this data, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
How we will use your data
We may use information in the following ways:
- To provide information to you about the Pacific Surfliner service or the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency.
- To ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To operate, evaluate, and improve our business (e.g. developing or improving new products and/or services; analyzing our customer base; and performing accounting, auditing, and other internal functions).
- To manage customer service interactions with you.
- To provide you with information, products, or services that you request from us or which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To notify you about changes to our service.
- We may also use your data to provide you with information about related goods and services which may be of interest to you and we may contact you about this through mail, electronic means (email or SMS), or by telephone.
- We will not pass your details on to third parties for their marketing purposes unless you consent by selecting the relevant box.
- To comply with and enforce applicable legal requirements, contractual obligations, and our organizational policies.
- For system administration and to report aggregate information to our partner rail agencies and entities. This is statistical data about our users' browsing actions and patterns, and does not identify any individual.
- Your IP address may also be used to diagnose problems with our server, monitor visitor traffic patterns, and evaluate site usage to help us develop and improve our site further.
- To identify unauthorized attempts to upload or change information or to otherwise cause damage to the website. Anyone visiting the Pacific Surfliner website consents to the monitoring of network traffic for this purpose.
In addition, we use data collected through cookies, web beacons, pixels, web server logs, and other automated means for purposes including a) customizing your visits to our website, b) delivering banner advertisements to you on other websites or advertisements on social media platforms, c) delivering content tailored to your interests and the manner in which you use our website, and d) managing our website and other aspects of our business.
What personal data we share and how
We may share your personal data in the following ways:
- As a governmental agency, the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency is governed by the California Public Records Act (California Government Code section 6250 et seq.) As such, most business you conduct with the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency becomes a public record and is open for public inspection. Public records may be posted on the website for electronic access. Records posted on the website are also available for public inspection by requests made in person, by mail or by telephone at the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency office. Please also be aware that, under certain circumstances, content appearing on the Pacific Surfliner website may be subject to the California Public Records Act and subject to disclosure by the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency if requested. This may include information about you that you may make available through your privacy settings on your own pages.
- We may disclose your personal information to any member of our organization, which may include the Orange County Transportation Authority, the entity that houses and supports the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency.
- We may share information you provide with other public agencies or organizations if required to aid with a service request that you have made. For example, if you send the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency an email that includes personal information, we may need to forward your email to another agency if we believe that agency is better prepared to answer your question.
- We may disclose your personal information to third-party service providers we engage to perform services on our behalf, such as data storage, website hosting, data analytics, and distributing marketing or promotional messages.
- We do not authorize these service providers to use, disclose, or otherwise process your personal data except as required to perform services on our behalf.
- We may disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation.
- Any messages that describe or promote unlawful activity, or any message that includes a threat, will be forwarded to the appropriate law enforcement authorities.
Standards for processing personal data
Generally, we rely on the following standards to process your personal information:
When you have given us consent to process your data in certain ways, we will rely on your consent. For example, we generally rely on consent as a basis for processing in relation to sending direct marketing communications to customers via email or text message. Customers have the right to withdraw consent at any time.
We may process your personal data where necessary to fulfill our legitimate interests, which may include:
- Protecting privacy and safety concerns of customers, employees, and other individual.
- Promoting, marketing, and advertising our products and services.
- Sending promotional communications which are relevant and tailored to individual customers.
- Understanding our customer’s behavior, activities, preferences, and needs.
- Improving existing products and services and developing new products and services.
- Complying with our legal and regulatory obligations.
- Preventing, investigating, and detecting crime, including working with law enforcement agencies.
- Handling customer contacts, queries, complaints, or disputes.
Where we store your personal data and for how long
All information you provide to us is stored on our secure servers.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to prevent unauthorized access.
We do not rent, sell, or give away any information identifying you individually to third parties for marketing or mailing list purposes without your express permission.
You can choose to opt-out of any messaging at any time. See more information in the section below. Your information will be held until at such time you opt-out of messaging and up to a period of time in order to identify any issues or resolve any legal proceedings.
Your rights and choices
Opting Out of Data Collection
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes and to make changes to your personal information. We will inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for marketing purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking or not checking certain boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by emailing us at email@example.com.
Links to Other Sites
Mobile Advertising Settings
For mobile and SMS marketing, depending on the mobile device you use, you may be able to manage your advertising choices through the device settings:
- For Apple Users:
- iOS 7 or higher, you can change your settings in the following location: Settings > Privacy > Advertising
- iOS 6, you can change your settings in the following location: Settings > General > About > Advertising
- For iOS 4 or 5, or for further information, please see Apple’s website for details.
- For other major mobile platforms:
- Open the platform account settings
- Select Ads
If you would like further information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or through one of the channels listed under “Contact Us” on the About page of our website; we will respond as promptly as possible.
What if I’d like to make an update to my personal information?
Please contact the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency at email@example.com. You may unsubscribe from Pacific Surfliner emails at any time by clicking “unsubscribe” at the bottom of emails sent by the LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency.
LOSSAN Rail Corridor Agency, 600 South Main Street, Orange, CA 92868