Metrolink, COASTER, and Pacific Surfliner riders can choose from more departure options through the Rail 2 Rail® Program. Metrolink and NCTD Monthly Pass holders can travel on Pacific Surfliner trains, within the station pairs of their pass, at no additional charge. Similarly, Pacific Surfliner Monthly Pass holders may also ride any Metrolink or COASTER train, within the station pairs on their pass, at no additional charge.
The program was started to complement Metrolink's and the North County Transit District’s (NCTD’s) schedule options using Pacific Surfliner trains that had additional capacity. Because there are certain dates when travel demand increases, the program is suspended around major holidays and special events.
Blackout dates apply on the following dates:
- Memorial Day weekend: Friday through Tuesday
- Independence Day weekend: Friday through Tuesday
- Comic-Con and the first weekend of Del Mar horse racing season
- Labor Day weekend: Friday through Tuesday
- Week of Thanksgiving: Wednesday through Monday
Additional dates may be added if needed.
Shared Service Trains on Metrolink’s Ventura County Line
We are expanding the shared service program with Metrolink to provide additional departure options for travelers.
Effective November 1, 2023:
- Pacific Surfliner trains 761, 765, 769, 770, 774, 777, 784, 785, 790, and 794 will accept Metrolink tickets (one-way, round-trip, 7-day and monthly passes) between Los Angeles and Oxnard.
- Pacific Surfliner tickets will also accepted on any Metrolink train traveling between Los Angeles and Oxnard.
Please note: The shared service program is subject to the same blackout dates as the Rail 2 Rail Program. Metrolink customers must print or activate their ticket before boarding the train. Shared service trains are not available on Pacific Surfliner trains south of Los Angeles.
Frequently Asked Questions
Learn more about Metrolink: metrolinktrains.com
Learn more about COASTER: gonctd.com