The LOSSAN rail corridor stretches 351 miles from San Diego to San Luis Obispo, with the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, freight, commuter, and long-distance trains sharing the tracks and certain stations. Ongoing construction projects keep the infrastructure in top condition and contribute to overall improvements in rail travel along the corridor. Larger projects require tracks or stations to be closed so crews can perform necessary work, which can temporarily affect train service.
Updated November 16, 2023
Los Angeles Union Station will temporarily close for track and signal upgrades from Dec. 26 through Dec. 29, 2023. During this time, for the first time ever, the Pacific Surfliner will bypass Union Station to journey along the east bank of the Los Angeles River and through part of the Alameda Corridor. This will be a historic week for the service, providing passengers with a one-of-a-kind travel experience along a never-before traveled route.
The train schedule during this period will be modified to provide alternate travel accommodations to passengers.
- Shuttle bus connections to and from LA Union Station and Glendale Station will be provided for all 700 series trains.
- Shuttle bus connections to and from LA Union Station and Fullerton Station will be provided for trains 562, 564, 572, 586, 573, 581, 589, and 595.
- Trains 580 and 591 will be suspended.
- Train 587 will also be suspended and replaced with a special train, 589, which will operate one hour later.
Updated November 16. 2023
Checked baggage will be reinstated for travelers from Saturday, Nov. 18 through Tuesday, Nov. 28 at staffed Pacific Surfliner stations: San Diego, Fullerton, Los Angeles, Van Nuys, Oxnard, Santa Barbara, and San Luis Obispo.
Due to funding limitations caused by extended track closures, checked baggage is not currently available on Pacific Surfliner trains outside of the Thanksgiving travel period between Nov. 18 to 28, 2023. Luggage may still be carried and stored on board. You may bring two personal items that measure up to 14” x 11” x 7” each, and weigh up to 25 pounds each. You may also bring two carry-on bags that measure up to 28" x 22" x 11" each, and weigh up to 50 pounds each.
TEMPORARY STATION CLOSURES
Pacific Surfliner trains continue to serve all stations according to the schedules. However, ticket windows are currently closed at the following stations:
- Solana Beach: Nearest staffed stations is Santa Fe Depot (San Diego)
- Oceanside: Nearest staffed stations is Santa Fe Depot (San Diego)
- San Juan Capistrano: Nearest staffed station is Fullerton
- Santa Ana: Nearest staffed station is Fullerton
- Irvine: Nearest staffed station is Fullerton
- Anaheim: Nearest staffed station is Fullerton