Travel on the Amtrak® Pacific Surfliner® during the holidays this year. Enjoy the diverse scenery of Southern California while traveling to top destinations, including San Diego, Orange County, Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, and more. Onboard amenities such as a market-style café, Wi-Fi, power outlets, and spacious seating offer a comfortable ride that will have you arriving ready for Thanksgiving celebrations.
Reservations Required on Thanksgiving Weekend
Due to increased travel demand on the holiday weekend, all Pacific Surfliner trains will require reservations from Wednesday, November 27 through Monday, December 2, 2019. Amtrak monthly and 10-ride passes may still be used.
During this time, you must ride the train number listed on your ticket. If your travel plans change, please call 800-USA-RAIL or visit a staffed station in advance of your scheduled departure to make changes to your reservation.
Attention Metrolink and COASTER passengers
The Rail 2 Rail® program will be suspended from Wednesday, November 27 through Monday, December 2, 2019 and Metrolink and COASTER passes will not be accepted. The program will resume on Tuesday, December 3, 2019.
As background, the Rail2Rail Program was started to complement Metrolink and COASTER schedule options using Pacific Surfliner trains that had additional capacity. This blackout ensures that there is sufficient capacity available on the most popular trains for our Amtrak ticketed riders while maintaining the greatest number of transit options possible for those traveling over the holiday weekend. Rail 2 Rail riders can view Metrolink schedules and COASTER schedules. To purchase an Amtrak ticket, use our booking tool.
Helpful tips for holiday travel
- Book your tickets beforehand – online, at 1-800-USA-Rail, or on the Amtrak app.
- Take advantage of our California Everyday Discounts and other offers, but please note the blackout dates.
- Take up to two bags (each weighing 50 pounds or less) for free. We have space on the first level of the train for larger and heavier luggage, and there is also room above each seat.
- If you are traveling between stations with luggage service, you can check your bags. Stations are marked on the schedule with a suitcase icon.
- Arrive early, since the train stations might be busier than usual.
- Consider upgrading to Business Class for a little extra legroom, free snacks and drinks, and other perks.
- Bring valid photo identification with you, as the conductor could request it.
- Visit our blog, The Inside Track, for trip ideas as well as additional tips.