The LOSSAN rail corridor stretches 351 miles from San Diego to San Luis Obispo, with the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, freight, commuter, and long-distance trains sharing the tracks. Ongoing construction projects keep the infrastructure in top condition and contribute to overall improvements in rail travel along the corridor. Larger projects require tracks or stations to be closed so crews can perform necessary work, which temporarily affects train service.
Planned Weekend Track Closures Between Irvine and San Diego
Dates Impacted: Feb 21-23, Mar 7-8
A track closure is required so crews can perform work on multiple construction projects, including adding double track and improving rail crossings. During the closure, refer to our Twitter page for service updates. Passengers can also call 800-USA-RAIL, use the Amtrak App, or check the train tracker map.
Fridays, Feb 21 and Mar. 6
- Train 796 will terminate at Los Angeles. Bus service will be provided from Los Angeles to San Diego, serving all missed stops.
Saturday and Sunday, Feb. 22-23 and Mar. 7-8
- Trains 562, 1565, 1566, 1569, 1572, 1573, 578, 583, 1590 and 1591 will be canceled. Passengers can make reservations aboard other Pacific Surfliner trains.
- Southbound Train 782 will terminate at Los Angeles. No alternate transportation will be provided between Los Angeles and San Diego. Passengers can make reservations aboard other Pacific Surfliner trains.
- Southbound Train 796 will terminate at Los Angeles and bus service will be provided for all missed stops.
- Southbound Trains 1564, 768, 774, 580, 1584, and 792 will operate normally to Irvine, where bus service will be provided from Irvine to San Diego. Express buses will run from Irvine to San Juan Capistrano, Oceanside, Solana Beach, Old Town San Diego, and Downtown San Diego only.
- Northbound Train 1761 will originate at Los Angeles. No alternate transportation will be provided between San Diego and Los Angeles. Passengers can make reservations aboard other Pacific Surfliner trains.
- Northbound Trains 763, 1767, 777, 579, 785, 593, and 595 will originate in Irvine. Bus service will be provided from San Diego to Irvine to connect with the trains listed above. Buses will depart downtown San Diego, Solana Beach, Oceanside and San Juan Capistrano earlier than the train schedule to allow time to connect with trains in Irvine. Passengers at the Old Town San Diego station can take the trolley to downtown San Diego to board buses to Irvine.
- Metrolink will honor Amtrak tickets between San Juan Capistrano and Los Angeles.
Notes: There will be no checked baggage or express service south of Santa Ana on the dates shown above. Alternate bus service will not serve San Clemente Pier.
Additional Closures: Track closures are also planned for Apr. 18-19, Oct. 3-4, and Oct. 17-18, 2020. Dates are subject to change. Please check back for details on these closures as the dates get closer.
Solana Beach Elevator Out of Service
Dates impacted: Sept. 3 until further notice
The Solana Beach elevator to Platform 2 (west side) is closed for refurbishment and repairs. Customers may use the stairs to access Platform 2 or wait for assistance.