The LOSSAN rail corridor stretches 351 miles from San Diego to San Luis Obispo, with the Amtrak Pacific Surfliner, freight, commuter, and long-distance trains sharing the tracks. Ongoing construction projects keep the infrastructure in top condition and contribute to overall improvements in rail travel along the corridor. Larger projects require tracks or stations to be closed so crews can perform necessary work, which temporarily affects train service.
Weekend Pacific Surfliner Service Affected Between Irvine and San Diego
Dates Impacted: Oct. 18-20 and Oct 25-27
The train tracks between Irvine and San Diego will be closed due to construction projects from 10 p.m. on Friday, October 18 through 1 a.m. on Monday, October 21, as well as from 10 p.m. on Friday, October 25 through 1 a.m. on Monday, October 28. On Saturday and Sunday, October 19-20 and 26-27, Amtrak will operate Pacific Surfliner trains as far south as Irvine, with a bus bridge to/from San Diego. In addition, several trains between Los Angles and San Diego will be cancelled.
The closure is required so crews can perform work on multiple construction projects, including adding double track and improving rail crossings. During the closure, refer to our Twitter page for service updates. Passengers can also call 800-USA-RAIL, use the Amtrak App, or check the train tracker map.
Tracks closed between Oceanside and San Diego starting at 10 p.m.
Dates Impacted: Oct. 18 and Oct 25
Train 590 will be cancelled.
NOTES: Bus service will be provided from Los Angeles to San Diego, making stops at Oceanside, Solana Beach, Old Town San Diego and San Diego Downtown. No alternate transportation will be provided to Fullerton, Anaheim, Santa Ana, Irvine and San Juan Capistrano.
Tracks closed all day between Irvine and San Diego.
Dates Impacted: Oct. 19-20 and Oct 26-27
• Trains 1761*, 763, 1767, 777, 579, 785, 593 and 595 will begin in Irvine (a bus bridge will connect passengers from Downtown San Diego, Solana Beach, Oceanside and San Juan Capistrano and may depart earlier than the usual train schedule).
• Trains 1565, 1569, 1573, 583 and 1591 will be cancelled.
• Trains 1564, 768, 774, 580, 1584 and 792 will end in Irvine (a bus bridge will connect passengers to San Juan Capistrano, Oceanside, Solana Beach, Old Town San Diego and Downtown San Diego).
• Trains 562, 1566, 1572, 578 and 1590 will be cancelled.
• Train 782 will be cancelled between Los Angeles and San Diego with no alternate transportation provided.
• Train 796 will be cancelled between Los Angeles and San Diego, with bus bridge service provided for all missed stops.
NOTES: Northbound buses will not stop at Old Town. Passengers at Old Town can take the Green Line Trolley (San Diego MTS) to the Santa Fe Depot to connect with the northbound bus. The trolley costs $2.50 per person and takes approximately 10 minutes.
There will be no bus connection for Train 1761. Passengers traveling between San Diego and Irvine can instead take Train 763.
Metrolink will honor Amtrak tickets between Irvine and Los Angeles
There will be no checked baggage or express service south of Santa Ana on the dates shown above.
Alternate bus service will not serve San Clemente Pier.
Tracks between Irvine and San Diego are expected to re-open in the early morning hours.
Dates Impacted: Oct. 21 and Oct 28
All trains are expected to operate normally. However, the first northbound trains of the morning (Trains 561, 763, 565) may encounter minor delays due to train traffic.
NOTES: The information above is subject to change. Please check back for updates.
Solana Beach Elevator Out of Service
Dates impacted: Sept. 3 until further notice
The Solana Beach elevator to Platform 2 (west side) is closed for refurbishment and repairs. Customers may use the stairs to access Platform 2 or wait for assistance.